Tuesday, April 17, 2012

We pause again to take a look at some stuff I found from a earlier attempt at this Story


My story really starts when I first met Quest, but you won’t be able to understand any of it unless I back up to the beginning before my meeting him. My friend Meryl says that beginnings are the hardest thing to write about because you are never quite sure where the story really began. I mean does my story begin at my birth or conception? Or is it even further back with how my parents first met; do I look back to what made them make the monumental decision to marry and have me? Someone could well go crazy trying to figure out how far back a story goes. Of course, Meryl tells me from over his forgotten spectacles, that the real stories start at the source. It’s like an inside joke for us, knowing that the source is really The Source, but to anyone else trying to write this, The Source has no concrete tangible meaning. It is enough to know that I came directly from The Source, even though I was born like almost everyone else from the coupling of parents.
            My name is Vanessa Isabelle Merce Masters, “Vimm” for short, the only daughter of Tybalt Alexander Masters and Helen Maria Washington.  I have a brother, Steven Richard. My father is of African American descent and my mother is Caucasian, English and some Scot as well. It is an odd mix even with my father’s light skin for a “black” man and my mother’s paleness. They stand in contrast to each other. Tybalt is the result of a mixed pairing as well which explains his complexion. His own father was a college educated man who saw himself as an outcast from the rest of his people because of his enlightenment and he met and married my grandmother Ridhi while on his pilgrimage to Mecca when he got sidetracked and ended up in Bali. That’s what he likes to tell me anyway, he was trying out Islam and settled for Buddhism instead.
            My mother met my father at Harvard when he tutored her in Shakespeare, which has been a family joke ever since. If you don’t see that irony, I am not going to explain it. In fact, you had best just find another book to read since the wit continues throughout. Anyway, mom fell for dad’s prose and charm. Her parents were at first shocked and appalled when she first brought him home. But he grew on them and they came to accept him and his parents as well. At least that is what they chose to tell me about it, I suspect it wasn’t all that smooth a transition for any of them. They all get along now, though sometimes it is just creepy how well they do.
            My parents like to call me Merce (pronounced “Mercy”). Where they came up with that name is beyond me, but they liked it as well as all the others. They would only use my full name when introducing me formally at church or whenever I got them mad or flustered. Then mom would yell my name while raising her hands to the heavens as if pleading with God to come down and sort me out Himself. Religion, by the way, is the one thing in my family that no one agrees on. Dad is an atheist or agnostic whenever the mood hits him, usually when he is almost ready to swear but isn’t alone. Mom is stuck between being an Episcopalian and a universalist. Her parents are hard line Episcopalians while Dad’s are settled on being Buddhists. So everyone puts a lot of pressure on me in assuring me not to be pressured into one faith or the other or lack there of. Frankly I haven’t decided yet.
           
            I was born in Queens, that’s in New York City for those of you who are from around here. However, I only know of it from visits there to see my grandparents on my dad’s side. We moved to Fall’s Creek, Virginia when I was two so dad could take up teaching at the university near there. Mom became an editor for the Creek Herald newspaper shortly after arriving. 
             

No comments:

Post a Comment